EVENTS AND EXHIBITS
The League conducts monthly meetings with a program about art. These hour-long programs are intended to give members and the general public information. Many are live demonstrations of various art forms, as well as art history, presentations by museum curators, or art school educators. Meetings are held the third Wednesday of the month (except February, August, and September) at 12:30 PM.
NOTES AND GENERAL INFORMATION
A Note from Susan McGuire
I am trying to collect email addresses of potential members. To do this correctly, I need to ask folks if they would like to receive information about the art league including the benefits of becoming a member. If you know anyone who would like to her from ESAL, please forward their name and email address and I will contact them. If they say no, I will not use their email address at all. Send names and email addresses to susan.mcguire1@Icloud.com
The 2018 ESAL Member Roster as of July 20, 2018, is now available on the Members Page
Art League Facebook Group
Did you know we have a Facebook Group? Just search ES Art League on FB and check out this month’s challenge: ES Art League Facebook Group
Art League Facebook Group July/August Challenge: Dog Days
- We’ve had some excellent paintings posted in general and for our monthly contests on our Art League Facebook Group, and it would be great to have more participation. Please consider making art for the challenge, voting in the challenge, post art you’ve made and also posting any events that our member might enjoy.
- You can also post questions you’re having about making, showing or selling art; ideas you’ve encountered that you might like to share; or artists whose work you enjoy and would like to introduce to others.
- That being said, the challenge for July/August is “Dog Days.” Take this however you like! Make some art, post it to the Facebook page or email it to Carrie Jacobson at carrieBjacobson@gmail.com
- Carrie Jacobson maintains the new ES Art League Facebook group and keeps the ESAL social. Please use the group page since the old page will eventually close.
- The Art League registered on behalf of its members. Any member or group of members are eligible to have space at the Market. The spaces MUST be reserved in advance and approved by the Market Manager.
- Each attending member MUST submit a 2018 Art League Vendor Application Onancock Market application and sign the Hold Harmless Statement which is part of the application.
- Each vendor pays a weekly space rental of $15 for a 12′ x 12′ tent space. Space may be shared by more than one ESAL member.
Important Notes about the Holiday Market the Saturday before Thanksgiving
- An occasional vendor who wants to attend the Holiday Market should mark the regular Market dates and the Holiday Market date and prepay, the non-refundable fee of $15 with the regular application (see above)
- NOTE: If a member only wants to attend the Holiday Market, they should submit the Holiday Market Vendor Application with the $40 fee. The application is on the Onancock Market site.
Items for the August Newsletter are due by August 21st
- Please send the information to Tomeka at firstname.lastname@example.org.
REGULAR MONTHLY EVENTS
- ESAL Board Meeting – no meeting in July
- ESAL Regular Meeting – no meeting in July
REGULAR WEEKLY EVENTS
Cafe Society– Thursdays from 5 PM on – informal evening get together
- The Blarney Stone
REGULAR QUARTERLY EVENTS
- Historic Onancock School
- Hermitage Assisted Living Gallery, Onancock
- Accomak County Public Library, Accomac
SHOW CHANGE OVER DATES TO REMEMBER
- August 29 for Hermitage
- September 19 for HOS
- October 18 for Accomack County Public Library
SAVE THE DATE
Message from Nancy Richards West
Hi Everyone! I will be teaching two painting classes in August with Chincoteague Cultural Alliance:
August 17th – 19th: 3 Day Workshop
This 3-day workshop will be focused on teaching students how to use oil paints with skill and confidence. There will be demonstrations, individual instruction, an authentic Chincoteague dinner followed by a coffeehouse performance at CCA Center for the Arts, critiques, and so much more. A full schedule and pricing will soon be available online at www.chincoteagueculturalalliance.org.
Details for these classes will soon be posted on CCA’s website: Chincoteague Cultural Alliance
Registration is online or at Sundial Books (cash or check only). Class size will be small, so register early! I hope to see you there.
Nancy, 757-990-1421, email@example.com
Jack Richardson Painting Classes – Ongoing – Thursdays, 9:30 – 11:30 AM
Jack Richardson is offering painting classes on Thursday mornings, 9:30 to 11:30 at his studio, Jack Richardson Fine Art Gallery, 24 King Street, Onancock. Jack will work with all levels of experience in oil or acrylic, with a focus on drawing form and color, using the view-finder and all technical aspects of creating a sound painting and exploring your individual vision. Cost is $40 a session, no material is supplied. Want more details or have questions? call: 757-710-2154 email: jackrichardsongallery@gmail.
‘Play Dates’ for adults is taking a summer vacation in July and August. Look for us to return in September.
UPCOMING MONTHLY EVENTS
What is a Paint-In/Out?
We gather between 10 am and 3 pm at a beautiful spot on the Shore – often a private home – and enjoy the surroundings. Many of us paint what we see. Others bring projects to work on – and not just paintings. Some of us take the opportunity to photograph what we see. We either bring a lunch, or a dish to share (homemade or store-bought). If you ask for input on your work, you’ll usually get good advice. If you don’t want input, that’s OK, too. You are sure to meet new friends and have a break from the usual.
August Paint-In/Out, Thursday, August 16th 10 AM – 3 PM
NOTE: RESPONSE REQUIRED IF ATTENDING
PLEASE EMAIL OR CALL GAIL REICHARD BEFORE AUGUST 11TH, IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO ATTEND (757) 336-3233 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our next paint-out will be on Thursday, August 16, at Carole Campbell’s place just outside Onancock near Cashville. Carole and John are wonderful hosts, and they have a lovely place to paint with interesting water and boat views. Even a pool to cool off in, so bring a swimsuit. Please respond to Gail Reichard before August 11 if you are planning to attend. Directions to Carole Campbell’s home-August Paint Out
- As usual, we will be painting from 10 am. to 3 pm., with a shared lunch served around 12:30. If possible, bring a cooler for your cold dishes, and don’t forget a serving utensil.
- Please plan to attend this event, and bring a friend or colleague with you.
- Don’t forget your chair, hat, sunscreen and bug spray!
UPCOMING MONTHLY EVENTS
AUGUST – No Meetings
ESAL Board Meeting – September 5th, 11 AM, HOS Room 104
ESAL Regular Meeting – September 19th 6 PM, HOS Program TBA
Presentation by Guy Shover
- Join us on September 19 for ESAL’s presentation by Guy Shover, Eastern Shore Artist, and Sculptor, to learn about the arts of sculpting, casting, and patina that brings Guy’s nature sculptures to life.
- The program starts at 6:00 pm with drinks and light snacks.
September Paint In/Out – TBA
ESAL Board Meeting – No Board Meeting
Regular Meeting – October 17th, 6 PM, HOS, Program TBA
October Paint In/Out TBA
ESAL Board Meeting – No Board Meeting
Regular Meeting – November 7th, 11 AM, HOS, Program TBA (date change due to Thanksgiving)
December 12th – Holiday Party, Detail TBA
The Eastern Shore Art League of Virginia, Inc. is a 501c3 corporation founded in 1977 and dedicated to promoting the visual arts on the Eastern Shore. We are supported by our members and friends as well as our affiliations with United Way, Arts Council of the Eastern Shore (ACES) and the Eastern Shore Artisans Trail.