EVENTS AND EXHIBITS
The League conducts monthly meetings with a program about art. These hour-long programs are intended to give members and the general public information. Many are live demonstrations of various art forms, as well as art history, presentations by museum curators, or art school educators. Meetings are held the third Wednesday of the month (except February, August, and September) at 12:30 PM.
NOTES AND GENERAL INFORMATION
NOTICE: Regular Meeting Date Changed to October 24
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER NOW for this Exciting Event!
Exhibit your Work for Two Months, including the Holiday Buying Season
- October 3: Final day to register (contact email@example.com)
- Thursday, October 10 – Delivery of Artwork from 10 – noon
- October 12 – 2nd Friday at HOS – 5 pm to 8 pm – opening reception. Invite your friends for wine, hors-d’oeuvres, music, and the artist’s choice winners announcement.
- Wednesday, December 12 – Pick up work from 10 to noon
Participants in the Summer Show at the Historic Onancock School are invited to continue showing their work until October 10 instead of September 19. If you would not like to have your work remain until the October date please contact Marge Bradach at 757-665-4507 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sale Opportunity: At the October 12 Second Friday
We will have another pop-up sale in room 108. There’s room for six artists, so anyone interested should contact April by October 3, the same deadline as for the member show information.
Historic Onancock School, October 15th, 5:30 – 7:30 PM
The Historic Onancock School under the guidance of Joani Donohoe has decided to host an evening “get together” called “Remembering Elizabeth”. So many of you have asked if there was to be any memorial service or celebration of her life. It wasn’t certain if her family would choose to have anything locally. They have not. With that question answered, Joani has requested we come together at the school to celebrate and remember Elizabeth on October 15th from 5:30 – 7:30 PM. This will be a time we can tell stories, enjoy looking at her work that a few of us have collected, and toast to her memory with a glass of wine, beer or water — your choice!!!
We Hope We Appeal to You
So far the September ESAL member appeal has resulted in seven members, old friends and new. Welcome to all and thanks to Valerie Petersen who forwarded the emails of four friends, all who consented to hear from ESAL. If you know someone who would like to hear from us, please let Susan McGuire know at email@example.com Thanks!
October ‘Play Dates’ for Adults
- At the Frame Shop at 59 Market Street in Onancock
- Saturdays, Oct 6 and 13 – Air Dry clay- how to make your own and nest thing you can make with it
- Saturday, Oct 20 and 27 – Cold porcelain – again how to make and use it
- Questions: email Onancockart@gmail.com or call Mary at 302-1305
Winter Studio Space for Rent – Nov – March – 14′ x 35′
(the kayak shop on Onancock’s Wharf)
For more information: contact Mary at firstname.lastname@example.org or (305) 240-0650. Or drop by weekends 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
Meet at the Table – Chatham Flower Farm
Saturday, October 20, 2018, from 5:30 pm to 10:30 pm
- ARTISTS are invited to set up and sell at an event at Chatham Flower Farm.
- No fee. No commission. Plenty of outdoor space.
- The event benefits the Artisans Guild and Delmarva Farmers Union, and
- includes a seated dinner @$50 per person and live auction. Limited tickets.
- Cash bars and produce sales on the site.
- Questions, contact Kate Meyer at email@example.com, Chatham Flower Farm, 31094 Boggs Road, Painter VA 23420
Remembering “Adamo” – A retrospective of his Life and Work
Joe Adams, a dedicated oil painter, mentor and longtime member of the Art League, passed away in 2008. The Lemon Tree Gallery & Studio is featuring his paintings – many of which have never been exhibited before – from now through April 17, 2019. Come see his lovely works at the Cape Charles Gallery. An opening reception featuring Donna Adams’ remembrances of Joe is slated for Friday, September 28th from 6 to 8 pm. Also featured now at the gallery are artists Thelma Peterson, Bethany Simpson, Clelia Sheppard, and David Turner.
Workshop: Planning Your Painting
Saturday, October 27, 2018, 10 am to 3 pm
Historic Onancock School, Room 104
Limit: 8 students, first come, first serve
$95, supplies included
- Mail your check to Susan McGuire, PO 175, Onancock, Va with your name, email address and a brief description of your painting experience.
- Improve your paintings by planning ahead.
- For beginners or seasoned painters, this workshop will give you the tools and the info you need to produce more dynamic paintings.
- Instructor: Susan McGuire (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Announcing the return of Liesl Fredrick Gallery to Onancock with a Special Opening Show
Mighty Miniatures, Saturday, November 3, 2018 – January 11, 2019
- Exhibit of tiny works of art entitled Mighty Miniatures, the first official show of Liesl Fredrick, runs from Nov 3 to Jan 5, 2019, at the Gallery at 59 Market Street. (See the attachment for requirements and entry form for your submission.)
- For further information or to register, email Onancockart@gmail.com, call Mary at 757-302-1305, or stop by the Frame Shop. This show is open to ALL artists and artisans. Any interested person can submit work.
- The Art League registered on behalf of its members. Any member or group of members are eligible to have space at the Market. The spaces MUST be reserved in advance and approved by the Market Manager.
- Each attending member MUST submit a 2018 Art League Vendor Application Onancock Market application and sign the Hold Harmless Statement which is part of the application.
- Each vendor pays a weekly space rental of $15 for a 12′ x 12′ tent space. Space may be shared by more than one ESAL member.
Important Notes about the Holiday Market the Saturday before Thanksgiving
- An occasional vendor who wants to attend the Holiday Market should mark the regular Market dates and the Holiday Market date and prepay, the non-refundable fee of $15 with the regular application (see above)
- NOTE: If a member only wants to attend the Holiday Market, they should submit the Holiday Market Vendor Application with the $40 fee. The application is on the Onancock Market site.
Items for the November Newsletter are due by September 23rd
- Please send the information to Susan at Susan.McGuire1@icloud.com
REGULAR MONTHLY EVENTS
ESAL Board Meeting – No meeting
ESAL Regular Meeting – September 24th 6 PM, HOS MAIN ROOM – PLEASE NOTE NEW DATE
Presentation by Angela Herbert Hodges
- Join us on October 24 at 6 PM for ESAL’s presentation by Angela Herbert-Hodges, painter, cordon-bleu chef, and Fencing Coach.
- Angela is a Contemporary Watercolorist who also uses paper, gouache, and pastel to create her vibrant and colorful paintings of landscapes, figures, and African animals.
- The program starts at 6:00 pm with drinks and light snacks.
- CLICK HERE to see more of Angela’s work.
REGULAR WEEKLY EVENTS
Cafe Society– Thursdays from 5 PM on – informal evening get together at the Blarney Stone
REGULAR QUARTERLY EVENTS
- Historic Onancock School
- Hermitage Assisted Living Gallery, Onancock
- Accomak County Public Library, Accomac
SHOW CHANGE OVER DATES TO REMEMBER
- October 10 for HOS – pickup summer show and deliver fall member show
- October 18 for Accomack County Public Library
- November 28th for Hermitage
SAVE THE DATE
Jack Richardson Painting Classes – Ongoing – Thursdays, 9:30 – 11:30 AM
Jack Richardson is offering painting classes on Thursday mornings, 9:30 to 11:30 at his studio, Jack Richardson Fine Art Gallery, 24 King Street, Onancock. Jack will work with all levels of experience in oil or acrylic, with a focus on drawing form and color, using the view-finder and all technical aspects of creating a sound painting and exploring your individual vision. Cost is $40 a session, no material is supplied. Want more details or have questions? call: 757-710-2154 email: jackrichardsongallery@gmail.
UPCOMING MONTHLY EVENTS
What is a Paint-In/Out?
We gather between 10 am and 3 pm at a beautiful spot on the Shore – often a private home – and enjoy the surroundings. Many of us paint what we see. Others bring projects to work on – and not just paintings. Some of us take the opportunity to photograph what we see. We either bring a lunch, or a dish to share (homemade or store-bought). If you ask for input on your work, you’ll usually get good advice. If you don’t want input, that’s OK, too. You are sure to meet new friends and have a break from the usual.
October Paint-In/Out, Wednesday, October 3rd – 10 AM – 3 PM
NOTE: RESPONSE REQUIRED IF ATTENDING
PLEASE EMAIL OR CALL GAIL REICHARD BEFORE SEPTEMBER 28th, IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO ATTEND (757) 336-3233 or email@example.com
- Our October paint-out will be on Wednesday, October 3, at the home of Carolyn and Don McGavock in Parksley.
- As some of you may know, this is the former home of carver Bobby Swain, and the McGavocks have retained much of its unique flavor.
- Lovely plantings, a delightful studio sitting atop the creek, and peaceful views all around, so come and join us for a wonderful day.
- Bring something to share for lunch, either homemade or store bought, along with a serving utensil. Don’t forget a chair, drop cloth, and any outdoor gear you need to enjoy the event.
- Do plan to join us for this opportunity to paint some of the Shore’s quaintest areas.
- PLEASE LET GAIL REICHARD KNOW IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO ATTEND BY September 28th at 757-336-3233 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please plan to attend this event, and bring a friend or colleague with you.
- Don’t forget your chair, hat, sunscreen, and bug spray
- CLICK HERE for Directions.
UPCOMING MONTHLY EVENTS
ESAL Board Meeting – No Board Meeting
Regular Meeting – November 7th, 11 AM, HOS, Program TBA (date change due to Thanksgiving)
December 12th – Holiday Party, Detail TBA
The Eastern Shore Art League of Virginia, Inc. is a 501c3 corporation founded in 1977 and dedicated to promoting the visual arts on the Eastern Shore. We are supported by our members and friends as well as our affiliations with United Way, Arts Council of the Eastern Shore (ACES) and the Eastern Shore Artisans Trail.