Welcome to the Eastern Shore Art League of Virginia
Promoting the visual arts on the Eastern Shore
NOTES AND GENERAL INFORMATION
HELP is needed for the Student Show, April 20th- 22nd
- Sitters are needed on Friday, April 20th from 3-5 PM and all hours on Saturday, April 21st. If you are available please call Lisa Harlow, ASAP at 757-442-4513.
Art League Facebook Group
Kudos to Carrie Jacobson for creating the new ES Art League Facebook Group and getting the ESAL social again. Please start using the group page since the old page will eventually close. Join the Group. Everybody’s welcome! Please post your artwork and art events, and invite your friends.
- The Art League registered on behalf of its members. Any member or group of members are eligible to have space at the Market. The spaces MUST be reserved in advance and approved by the Market Manager.
- Each attending member MUST submit a 2018 Art League Vendor Application Onancock Market application and sign the Hold Harmless Statement which is part of the application.
- Each vendor pays a weekly space rental of $15 for a 12′ x 12′ tent space. Space may be shared by more than one ESAL member.
Important Notes about the Holiday Market the Saturday before Thanksgiving
- An occasional vendor who wants to attend the Holiday Market should mark the regular Market dates and the Holiday Market date and prepay, the non-refundable fee of $15 with the regular application (see above)
- NOTE: If a member only wants to attend the Holiday Market, they should submit the Holiday Market Vendor Application with the $40 fee. The application is on the Onancock Market site.
Items for the May Newsletter are due by April 23
- Please send the information to Tomeka at email@example.com.
Let’s Celebrate Lucky Friday the 13th and the First Second Friday of 2018, at Historic Onancock School, 5-8 PM
- Historic Onancock School will be the place for Rock & Roll!! Featuring a D.J. spinning oldies, a Food Truck for your dining pleasure, adult beverages at the Cash Bar and Open Studios for you to catch up with friends and their winter work.
- There’s also a “Pop-Up” show in Room 108 organized by Barbara Hart and Carrie Jacobson.
- The Winter ESAL show stays up in the main room. It’s been a long winter, let’s gather and boogie down.
FRIDAY AND SATURDAY, APRIL 20th – 21st- 10 AM – 3 PM REGULAR MONTHLY EVENTS
ESAL Meeting – Wednesday, April 18th – 6-7:30 PM
An Introduction to Charlotte Heath and Botanicals
- Come join us for our first ESAL Evening Program and meet Charlotte Heath, a local artist, and entrepreneur. Charlotte will discuss her processes for producing the exquisite botanical paintings displayed in her Gallery in the Charlotte Hotel.
- There will be a small selection of wines to sample and some light snacks to sustain you until dinner.
- The program will be from 6-7:30 pm and held in the auditorium of Historic Onancock School.
Paint-In/Out, Thursday, April 19, 2018, 10 am – 3 pm
- Our Apil 19 paint out will be at a very special location, so please plan to attend, even though you may have to drive a bit. “Westerhouse” is a small brick historic house owned by Becky and Bernie Herman. It dates from 1720 and sits on a beautiful overlook on Westerhouse Creek complete with many wonderful varieties of fruit and vegetable plantings. As always, we will be painting from 10 AM to 3 PM, with lunch about 12:30. Please bring a dish to share (with serving utensil) or a store-bought item of your choice. You will love this location and a most gracious hostess. Hope we’ll see you there on April 19th. Click here for driving directions.
REGULAR WEEKLY EVENTS
Cafe Society – Thursdays from 5 PM on – informal evening get together
- The Blarney Stone
REGULAR QUARTERLY EVENTS
LIBRARY SHOW CHANGEOVER: April 18th. HOS: April 16th (date changed, details below)
Historic Onancock School – Extended thru April 16th
Accomak County Public Library, Accomac
SHOW CHANGE OVER DATES TO REMEMBER
- April 18th at the Library
- HOS Spring Show Dates – Note drop-off and pick-up are two different days.
- Change Over Details:
- April 13th: Second Friday – Show stays up and additional art could be hung on panels. HOS is planning for “Lucky Friday the 13th” with music, a food truck and a 50/50 raffle
- April 16th: Winter Show comes down. Please pick up from 11 AM-Noon (we are not responsible for work left at the school).
- April 16th-17th: Main room walls will be painted
- April 18th-21st: Student Show
- April 22nd: Drop off for Spring Show from 10 AM – 11 AM. Please send artist, title, medium, size, and price to Marge Bradach (757-665-4507, firstname.lastname@example.org) by April 17th. Don’t forget the artisan case. It draws a lot of attention. Entry fee is $5 per piece (due at drop off) and a 30% commission is split between the school and Art League.
- May 30th at the Hermitage
SAVE THE DATE
Jack Richardson Painting Classes – Ongoing – Thursdays, 9:30 – 11:30 AM
Jack Richardson is offering painting classes on Thursday mornings, 9:30 to 11:30 at his studio, Jack Richardson Fine Art Gallery, 24 King Street, Onancock. Jack will work with all levels of experience in oil or acrylic, with a focus on drawing form and color, using the view-finder and all technical aspects of creating a sound painting and exploring your individual vision. Cost is $40 a session, no material is supplied. Want more details or have questions? call: 757-710-2154 email: jackrichardsongallery@gmail.
More “Play Dates” for Adults – Saturday Afternoons in April, Free 1-3 PM
ESAL member Mary Clements will show and tell different artistic and crafty techniques on Saturday afternoons
- Every Saturday from 1 to 3 PM at Market Street Framers, 59 Market St in Onancock
- The month of April is dedicated to Alcohol Inks. Each two-hour program will explore different subjects and include how to make your own alcohol inks, what the inks achieve on porous and on-porous surfaces and how to include alcohol inks in your chosen medium. There is no charge and you don’t have to register, just come on along!
- For more information call Mary Clements at 757-302-1305
Artist Barbara Schmitz will be Leading a Class in the Ancient art of Sumi-e Painting – Tuesday, April 24th, 1:00 – 4:00 PM
At the CCA (Chincoteague Cultural Alliance) Building on Church Street in Chincoteague.
Cost: $45 includes all supplies
Class limited to 10 students. No experience is necessary
Participants can register through the CCA website:
Cost: $45 includes all supplies
Payment can be by PayPal or credit card online. CCA is located on Church Street (right at the bridge onto Main Street, then left on Church Street. Go past Church Street Hardware store, CCA on left)
UPCOMING MONTHLY EVENTS
No Board meeting in May
ESAL Regular Meeting: Wednesday, May 16, 6:00-7:30 pm
- Program TBA
May Paint-In/Out: Date and Place TBD
- Does anyone want to volunteer their home for our May paint-out? You can choose the date.
- Please let Gail Reichard know by April 4; otherwise, she will schedule another location. Contact her at email@example.com or 757-336-3233.
ESAL Board: Wednesday, June 6, 2018, 11 am, Room 104
ESAL Regular Meeting: Wednesday, June 20, 6:00-7:30 pm
- Program TBA
June Paint-in/Out, Thursday, June 14th, 10 AM – 3 PM
- Doris Tosi’s Home in Harborton
JULY & AUGUST – No Meetings
FUTURE 2018 PROGRAMS
- Willie Crockett, Tangier Native Son and Eastern Shore Painter
- Willie will provide a demonstration, talk about his art and, (maybe-he says) read some of his poetry
The Eastern Shore Art League of Virginia, Inc. is a 501c3 corporation founded in 1977 and dedicated to promoting the visual arts on the Eastern Shore. We are supported by our members and friends as well as our affiliations with United Way, Arts Council of the Eastern Shore (ACES) and the Eastern Shore Artisans Trail.