Welcome to the Eastern Shore Art League of Virginia
Promoting the visual arts on the Eastern Shore
NOTES AND GENERAL INFORMATION
ESAL July Pop-Up Gallery, July 13th
Second Friday at Historic Onancock School from 5:00 – 8:30 PM
- Beatles Theme with food truck, beer and wine available
- ESAL Pop-Up show in room 108
- Participants in the Historic Onancock School ESAL Summer Show are encouraged to attend the festivities at the school on July’s second Friday evening to represent their work on display.
- This is a School sponsored event with music and food trucks led by Joani Donohoe, Administrator.
- Questions on Show: contact Marge Bradach, email@example.com
Art League Facebook Group
Did you know we have a Facebook Group? Just search ES Art League on FB and check out this month’s challenge: ES Art League Facebook Group
Art League Facebook Group July Challenge: Summer on the Shore
- Greetings, artists! Please join us for the July Facebook challenge, Summer on the Shore.
- Please create art that expresses your views of summer on the shore, and upload an image of the piece to our Facebook Group page (see link above), or email it to carrieBjacobson@gmail.com to upload it for you. Let your imagination run wild! Is summer on the shore about heat? Your garden? Family? Traffic? Fishing? Fireworks? Just-wish-it-was-over-and-everyone-would-go-home?
- Can’t wait to see what you will come up with! Have some fun! It would be great to have some 3-D entries.
- Some tips on taking good photos of paintings – if possible, take the photos outdoors, in the shade. Get yourself directly over the painting and shoot squarely down.
- Questions? MSG or email Carrie Jacobson at carrieBjacobson@gmail.com
Carrie Jacobson maintains the new ES Art League Facebook group and keeps the ESAL social. Please use the group page since the old page will eventually close.
- The Art League registered on behalf of its members. Any member or group of members are eligible to have space at the Market. The spaces MUST be reserved in advance and approved by the Market Manager.
- Each attending member MUST submit a 2018 Art League Vendor Application Onancock Market application and sign the Hold Harmless Statement which is part of the application.
- Each vendor pays a weekly space rental of $15 for a 12′ x 12′ tent space. Space may be shared by more than one ESAL member.
Important Notes about the Holiday Market the Saturday before Thanksgiving
- An occasional vendor who wants to attend the Holiday Market should mark the regular Market dates and the Holiday Market date and prepay, the non-refundable fee of $15 with the regular application (see above)
- NOTE: If a member only wants to attend the Holiday Market, they should submit the Holiday Market Vendor Application with the $40 fee. The application is on the Onancock Market site.
Items for the July Newsletter are due by July 21st
- Please send the information to Tomeka at firstname.lastname@example.org.
REGULAR MONTHLY EVENTS
- ESAL Board Meeting – no meeting in July
- ESAL Regular Meeting – no meeting in July
REGULAR WEEKLY EVENTS
Cafe Society– Thursdays from 5 PM on – informal evening get together
- The Blarney Stone
REGULAR QUARTERLY EVENTS
- Historic Onancock School
- Hermitage Assisted Living Gallery, Onancock
- Accomak County Public Library, Accomac
SHOW CHANGE OVER DATES TO REMEMBER
- July 17 for Accomack County Public Library
- August 29 for Hermitage
- September 19 for HOS
- October 18 for Accomack County Public Library
SAVE THE DATE
Message from Nancy Richards West
Hi Everyone! I will be teaching two painting classes in August with Chincoteague Cultural Alliance:
August 4th, 10 AM – 3 PM: “A Day Plein Air Painting with Nancy”
I will start with a demo and tips, then there will be individual instruction as you create your very one plein air painting. Any medium that you enjoy is acceptable, although I will be demonstrating in oil The class will be mostly outdoors.
August 17th – 19th: 3 Day Workshop
This 3-day workshop will be focused on teaching students how to use oil paints with skill and confidence. There will be demonstrations, individual instruction, an authentic Chincoteague dinner followed by a coffeehouse performance at CCA Center for the Arts, critiques, and so much more. A full schedule and pricing will soon be available online at www.chincoteagueculturalalliance.org.
Details for these classes will soon be posted on CCA’s website: Chincoteague Cultural Alliance
Registration is online or at Sundial Books (cash or check only). Class size will be small, so register early! I hope to see you there.
Nancy, 757-990-1421, email@example.com
Jack Richardson Painting Classes – Ongoing – Thursdays, 9:30 – 11:30 AM
Jack Richardson is offering painting classes on Thursday mornings, 9:30 to 11:30 at his studio, Jack Richardson Fine Art Gallery, 24 King Street, Onancock. Jack will work with all levels of experience in oil or acrylic, with a focus on drawing form and color, using the view-finder and all technical aspects of creating a sound painting and exploring your individual vision. Cost is $40 a session, no material is supplied. Want more details or have questions? call: 757-710-2154 email: jackrichardsongallery@gmail.
‘Play Dates’ for adults is taking a summer vacation in July and August. Look for us to return in September.
UPCOMING MONTHLY EVENTS
What is a Paint-In/Out?
We gather between 10 am and 3 pm at a beautiful spot on the Shore – often a private home – and enjoy the surroundings. Many of us paint what we see. Others bring projects to work on – and not just paintings. Some of us take the opportunity to photograph what we see. We either bring a lunch, or a dish to share (homemade or store-bought). If you ask for input on your work, you’ll usually get good advice. If you don’t want input, that’s OK, too. You are sure to meet new friends and have a break from the usual.
July Paint-In/Out, Tuesday, July 17th 10 AM – 3 PM
NOTE: RESPONSE REQUIRED IF ATTENDING
PLEASE EMAIL OR CALL GAIL REICHARD BY THURSDAY, JULY 12th IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO ATTEND (757) 336-3233 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our July paint-out on Tuesday, July 17th will be at the home of Peggy Swan in Onancock. Here are the directions
- There will be beautiful gardens, water views, and a pool to cool off in, so bring your suit if you want a swim. Peggy’s home has shaded areas and is handicap accessible if needed.
- As usual, we will be painting from 10 am. to 3 pm., with a shared lunch served around 12:30. If possible, bring a cooler for your cold dishes, and don’t forget a serving utensil.
- Peggy will be providing drinks for us. If you don’t want to cook or bake, please just bring a store-bought item to round out our lunch.
- Please plan to attend this event, and bring a friend or colleague with you.
- Don’t forget your chair, hat, sunscreen and bug spray!
UPCOMING MONTHLY EVENTS
JULY – No Meetings
AUGUST – No Meetings
AUGUST Paint-In/Out: TBA
ESAL Board Meeting – September 5th, 11 AM, HOS Room 104
ESAL Regular Meeting – September 19th 6 PM, HOS Program TBA
September Paint In/Out – TBA
ESAL Regular Meeting – October 17th, 6 PM, HOS, Program TBA
October Paint In/Out TBA
The Eastern Shore Art League of Virginia, Inc. is a 501c3 corporation founded in 1977 and dedicated to promoting the visual arts on the Eastern Shore. We are supported by our members and friends as well as our affiliations with United Way, Arts Council of the Eastern Shore (ACES) and the Eastern Shore Artisans Trail.